In a previous post I posted an article on a Spring MVC (with Apache Tiles) maven archetype project and I explained how to initiate such a Maven project using the supplied archetype.
In this post, I come with a new archetype that allows you initiate, via a single command line, a maven web project that is configured to use Spring MVC 3.1.4 along with Spring Security. Knowing how it can be sometimes painful to configure such a project and to overcome dependencies issues (version conflicts, missing dependencies issues and configuration issues), I wanted to share that with you.
The project is configured to use:
- Spring MVC 3.1.4
- Spring Security 3.1.4
- Apache Tiles 2.2.2
- Servlets API 2.5 (as provided)
- jstl 1.2
The project comes up with the following configuration:
- Spring MVC is configured to Intercept /spring context requests: locate the file spring-servlet.xml
- Spring security is configured with two users, a regular user role user and an admin role user: locate the file spring-security.xml, it contains the two users logins and passwords
- (JSP) Tiles pages (view parts) are in the WEB-INF/jsp: users folder contains user role jsp pages and admin folder contains admin role jsp pages
- As examples, two servlets are pre-configured for each of the two users: the AdminPage1Controller.java and the Page1Controller.java
- The sidebar menu.jsp contains an example on how to filter content so that some content is only displayed when admin is connected
In order to use the archetype to initiate such a new maven project:
- Download the archetype maven project here and install it to your local repository using the following command
mvn install:install-file -Dfile=springmvc3.1-security-archetype-1.0.0.jar -DgroupId=com.michir.projects -DartifactId=springmvc3.1-security-archetype -Dversion=1.0.0 -Dpackaging=jar -DgeneratePom=true [-DlocalRepositoryPath=[path to your local repository]]
- Once installed, generate your Spring MVC – Security project using the following maven command
mvn archetype:generate -DarchetypeGroupId=com.michir.projects -DarchetypeArtifactId=springmvc3.1-security-archetype -DarchetypeVersion=1.0.0 -DgroupId=com.mycompany -DartifactId=myproject -Dversion=1.0.0-SNAPSHOT
It’s done … import your project into your favorite IDE as a maven project, compile and install on your favorite Web Application server and enjoy!